Objectives: To quantify the contribution the tobacco industry has made to foreign direct investment (FDI) in the former Soviet Union (FSU) as an indicator of its political and economic leverage; to explore the impact this has had on production capacity and tobacco control in the region.
Design: Data on industry investment and its impact on cigarette production capacity were collated from industry journals, reports, and websites. Data on total FDI were obtained from the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development.
Results: By the end of 2000, transnational tobacco companies (TTCs) had invested over US$2.7 billion in 10 countries of the FSU. Tobacco money as a proportion of FDI varies from 1% to over 30% in Uzbekistan. Cigarette production capacity in the factories receiving investments tripled from 146 to 416 billion cigarettes per annum and the TTCs’ market share has increased from nothing to between 50–100% in the markets in which they invested. Findings suggest that the effectiveness of national tobacco control measures corresponds broadly to the nature of the political and economic transition in each country and the size of industry investment, which is determined in part by the political context. Thus more effective measures tend to be seen in democratic states with smaller or no industry investments while the least effective measures are seen in highly centralised, one party states with high levels of industry investment or those with limited governmental capacity.
Conclusions: The entry of the TTCs at a time of major political and economic change left the FSU particularly vulnerable to industry influence. This influence was enhanced by the industry’s significant contribution to FDI, their ability to take over existing state monopolies in all but the largest countries, and the lack of democratic opposition.
- BAT, British American Tobacco
- EBRD, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development
- FDI, foreign direct investment
- FSU, former Soviet Union
- IMF, International Monetary Fund
- TTCs, transnational tobacco companies
- former Soviet Union
- tobacco industry
Statistics from Altmetric.com
The tables are available as downloadable PDFs (printer friendly files).
If you do not have Adobe Reader installed on your computer,
you can download this free-of-charge, please Click here
Files in this Data Supplement:
- [View PDF] - Table 1 Details of tobacco industry investments in Russia
- [View PDF] - Table 2 Details of tobacco industry investments in Ukraine
- [View PDF] - Table 3 Details of tobacco industry investments in the Baltic States
- [View PDF] - Table 4 Details of tobacco industry investments in Central Asia
- [View PDF] - Table 5 Details of tobacco industry investments in the Caucasus
- [View PDF] - Table 7 Percent market share for 1998�2000 (or nearest years where data available) based on legitimate sales only for all countries bar Belarus
- [View PDF] - Table 8 Tobacco control policies by country
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.